Monday, July 19, 2021

Birthday in Benin!

I had the gift of turning 39 in Cotonou this year, much as I had the gift of turning 25 here fourteen years ago.  I'm a cancer, a water baby, and so there was nothing I wanted more for my birthday this year that to spend it in and by water.

I found a hotel right on the beach, Hotel Azalai.  Most of the hotels with pools allow people to come in for the day for a low rate.  The day started out a bit rainy, but it's so warm that the rain almost doesn't really bother you.  Except it makes laying on a lounge chair a bit wet and uncomfortable...lol.  Once the rain died down, the sun made its appearance and it was a relaxing, enjoyable day.

The pool was perfect for the boys with a very large wading end, which meant they could play without me.  

Love that they manage to find friends everywhere, regardless of country, language, and culture

My friend and I ordered cocktails, she insisted on an impromptu photo session to mark the day, which I was thankful for after the fact, and we got some pizza for lunch.  Originally we'd planned to do part of the day at the pool and part of the day at the beach, but by the time we decided to leave the pool the kids were tired and we were ready to head back.


A piggy family passed by us on the beach

One of the many winning photos from the shoot

One of the best travel partners I've come across!

Don't know how I sensed they might be getting tired...lol

Since we're staying in the neighborhood where I used to live there are a few places that I'm familiar with that are still around and one of them is an ice cream parlor called Festival des Glaces.  I used to go there every so often with the girls I lived with back in 2007.  I thought my birthday was the perfect reason to indulge the boys in some ice cream treats.  Saye got chocolate and vanilla while Amare chose mint chocolate chip.  I ordered a crepe sundae with caramel and coffee ice creams....OMG. 

Selfie while waiting for ice cream!

Crepe sundae from heaven


The bottle we popped to close out the day after the kiddos were in bed.

 Overall my day was quiet, but exactly what I'd hoped for.  Added bonus, I got to ride on a zemi with both of my kids at the same time.  Yeah, I know, safety red flags everywhere.  #momoftheyear What matters to me is that we survived and they have another experience in their lives.

Since this is the birthday post, I'm going to skip over Friday and talk about Saturday night for a moment.  Saturday was the day that my cousin Koudous decided we would go out for my birthday.  Since it was the weekend we could take the kids to his sister's house in Porto Novo for a sleepover. 

About five seconds after we got to his cousins he was like, "Peace out mom, I got better things to do!"

Now, if you've not spoken to me much about going out in Africa, it's important to note that when the lights are coming on in Philly and they've made the last call for drinks that's when you SHOW UP at the club.

We went to a spot called Makoomba where there was bottle service, great music, and great company.  First of all, I can't really describe how great it felt to just be back out in a club after the last year and a half that we've had.  

COVID never really hit Benin very hard at all.  In the whole time the pandemic has happened, they've recorded 8200 cases and only 105 deaths.  Now, it may be that their testing was not as widespread as in the US, but across many African countries numbers have been really low.  And Benin also never shut down.  The President felt there were far too many people living day to day from earnings in the market and other areas of work who wouldn't survive a lockdown.  It was about the lesser of two risks and the numbers for COVID just couldn't justify a shut down.  Masks are required in certain places and the test requirements to enter and exit the country are very strict, but I felt far safer here than I do in the US.

Now, back to Makoomba.  We arrived around 1:45am and it was still dead (imagine that!), so we went outside to grab a bite to eat and then headed back in around 3.


My cousin Koudous and one of his closest friends, Saeed.  These two treated me like absolute royalty all week long.  So grateful for them both.

Oh, what, does that bottle say Dom Perignon???  Whaaaatttttt?!?!



The club closed at 6 and then we went back to my cousin's house to hang out for a bit and eat spicy spaghetti.  In the US, after the club, most people hit a diner or a pizza spot.  In Benin, you grab spicy spaghetti from a roadside cafeteria.  It's basically noodles, meat if you choose, and spicy peppers with a fried egg on top.  Simple, delicious and totally satisfying after a night out.  

I went to bed feeling utterly grateful for the opportunity to be here, for the love shown to me, and for my family in Benin, which has now grown as I've met more people to connect with on future visits.

When I say I'm grateful for my celebration and my week, literally all the credit goes to him.  #familyfirst



No comments:

Post a Comment